Jul 24, 2024  
2018-2019 College Catalog and Student Handbook 
2018-2019 College Catalog and Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

North Central State College provides financial support that assists eligible students to afford to attend the College. Funding for student aid comes from the federal and state governments, the College and its Foundation, and from private sources. Types of available aid include grants and scholarships, and loans and part‐time employment. The College’s Financial Aid Office has sole responsibility for the administration of financial aid programs at the College. Contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.

The availability of financial aid and policies governing the administration of financial aid programs are subject to change.

General Eligibility Requirements for Financial Aid

  • High school graduate or GED recipient
  • Admitted as a regular North Central State College student
  • Seeking to earn an associate’s degree or aid‐eligible certificate at the College
  • Making satisfactory academic progress as defined by the College
  • Other criteria may apply

How to Apply for Financial Aid

  1. FAFSA (federal aid application) – submit electronically at www.fafsa.gov at least two months prior to the start of the semester for which aid is desired.
  2. High school transcript (showing date of graduation) or GED certificate – submit to the Admissions Office.
  3. Scholarships and Employment – additional applications are required.

The entire application process, other than #2, must be repeated each academic year.


Grants are “gift funding” provided by the federal (and to a small extent by the state) governments which only rarely have to be repaid.

  • Federal Pell Grant: Amounts are set annually; awarded to both full and part‐time students; award amount varies with level of enrollment and extent of FAFSA‐demonstrated need.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): Awards are made to those with the greatest financial need.

Scholarships Funded by the College

Tuition Freedom Scholarship

The Tuition Freedom Scholarship is awarded to those who have participated in College Credit Plus courses while in high school or who have articulated credit from a career center. The scholarship pays the base cost of tuition charges (the sum of general and instructional fees) which are not paid for by other free financial aid. Tuition Freedom covers up to 64 credit hours minus the credits taken as a CCP student. Full time enrollment is required.

For more information about the College Credit Plus program, see www.ncstatecollege.edu/cms/ccp.

Scholarships Funded by the College’s Foundation

The North Central State College Foundation receives funds from supporters of the College and, in turn, provides merit, need‐based, and general financial assistance to over one hundred NC State students each year. Scholarships are available for students who are new, current, or previously enrolled at NC State. Scholarships are available to both full and part‐time students.

Application forms and complete details about Foundation scholarships are available on the College website.

Necessities Fund ‐ A Loan That Can Be Forgiven.

Students who have little or no eligibility for federal grants, but do have a specific financial obstacle to attending the College, may apply for a loan from the Necessities Fund. While this is a loan, it will be forgiven (will not have to be repaid) if the borrower graduates from the College within four years of receiving funding. Contact the Financial Aid Office for details.

Emergency Loan Fund

Short‐term, small amount funding is available to assist eligible students who encounter unusual expenses that might prevent them from attending the college. Loans will not be approved for typical college expenses (e.g., tuition and books) or for daily living expenses. Repayment is required within 60 days. An application form is available in the Financial Aid Office. Funding for this program is limited.

Dash Grant

Free aid provided by Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation for those facing a severe hardship that might cause them to withdraw from the College, is available through the Dash Grant. Contact the Dean of Students for details.

Student Loans

Repayment is required for student loans, and therefore, they are a “last resort” type of financial aid. Complete student loan information is available on the College website: www.ncstatecollege.edu/cms/financial‐aid/types‐of‐aid/loans.html.

  • Federal Direct Student Loan: Federally funded; must be enrolled at least half‐time; eligibility varies with year in college and dependency status; repayment begins six months after last date of at least half‐time enrollment. Direct Loans are offered to eligible students and must be formally accepted.
  • Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (FPLUS): Federally funded; made to parents of dependent students; requires credit check. Contact the Financial Aid Office for program details and a request form.
  • Private (alternative) Loans: Made by commercial lenders; not subject to federal financial aid rules; requires credit check and often a co‐borrower. Contact the Financial Aid Office for details.

The last day to accept an offered student loan or apply for an increased loan amount is the Friday of the third week of the semester.

Student Employment

The Federal Work‐Study (FWS) program is federally and College-funded. The program provides part‐time employment on campus for students who demonstrate federally‐defined need. Applications are available at the Financial Aid Office. Work‐Study students will be required to maintain half‐time enrollment and other eligibility criteria apply. View complete details at www.ncstatecollege.edu/cms/financial‐aid/types‐of‐aid/student‐employment.html.

Return/Repayment of Financial Aid Funds

(Title IV Refund Policy)

The College is required to determine if a student is required to return any awarded federal financial aid if he or she withdraws or stops attending all classes. In compliance with federal law, the College will calculate the amount of a required return and will bill the student for the amount owed.

Veterans’ Benefits

Military veterans and their dependents may be eligible for educational benefits from the United States Veterans Administration (VA) while attending the College. The Financial Aid Office certifies to the VA recipient eligibility relating to enrollment. Those seeking benefits should note:

  • Students must apply on‐line at www.gibill.va.gov.
  • Processing time of applications for VA benefits takes eight weeks or more.
  • The VA will notify applicants directly about their eligibility for benefits.
  • Benefits will only be provided for courses required for the (one) major for which the recipient has been approved.
  • The Financial Aid Office certifies enrollment for the VA, but the Office is not a full‐service veterans’ affairs department.

To maintain eligibility for VA benefits, the recipient must:

  • Progress toward completing an educational objective
  • Attend the classes for which he/she is registered
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office of all enrollment activity including registration, adding, dropping, and repeating courses, and changes of major or catalog year.
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office of all personal information changes including address, phone number, etc.